Monday, March 14, 2011

Becoming the Cast Iron Cauldron

As a young teen Cousin Sandi and I always enjoyed watching the cooking shows together on weekends, especially Julia Child. She was fabulous. The cooking shows of today can't compare to her back in the mid to late 60s. Fortunately I have a first edition of her original cookbook which I will treasure always.  I was also able to come up with a first edition of her second book this past week on Amazon which I was never able to find before, so I look forward to getting that in the next couple weeks to see whats in it. I also was able to find a Le Cordon Bleu text book today to go with the different editions of the Culinary Institute textbooks I got a few years ago. Sandi  and I also enjoyed Yan Can Cook for Oriental foods and The Frugal Gourmet for the obscure, and Justin Wilson for good old down home Louisisna cajun foods. Now in the present days Emeril is good and a lot of fun to watch. I used to like David Rosengarten but I have no clue what happened to him, his show has been gone for a long time now. I have always enjoyed cooking and collecting cookbooks. At present my "pantry" has become my cookbook room. I have managed to collect over 500 cookbooks. Anything from the old to the new. Some talk about rationed foods and what to use as a substitute when you can't get the specific item you want. I hope to be able to update this every week when I'm at the cafe drinking coffee or sitting at McDonalds drinking iced tea. I enjoy the experimental foods as well as the tried and true. I hope to be able to share some new recipes with you as well as my old time favorites.
For what ever reason I decided to name my kitchen the Cast Iron Cauldron.  I use a witch stirring her "brew" in a cauldron as my kitchen symbol. I hope you find something you like here. 
As Julia Child would say,  
"Bon Appétit!"

No comments:

Post a Comment