Monday, May 2, 2011

Southern Wedding Tomato Sandwiches / Egg Salad Sandwiches (Open Faced)

Southern Wedding Tomato Sandwiches (Open Faced)
As Paula Deen would say “No southern wedding is complete without Tomato Sandwiches.”  I personally had never heard of one before. BLT ‘s of course but not just plain tomato. Cousin and I thought that sounded great so we decided to make them for the first time last year. We used a Beefsteak rye bread since that is our favorite rye bread. For the condiment we decided a dilled mayo would be excellent. We take our mayo (for me it’s never anything other than Kraft Real Mayo) and added dill weed till the mixture looked like what we wanted. We put that on the bread then used sliced on the vine ripened tomatoes. (home grown are preferred if you can get them, personally I can’t since I moved to  Missouri.) Serve Open faced. A couple times we decided to “cut the bread” to fit the tomato and had little round sandwiches. However that’s only for special occasions. For everyday we just use the whole piece of bread and cut the tomato to fit if necessary. Surprisingly these were very good. I was amazed. Thanks Paula Deen I would never have thought of that!


Open Faced Egg Sandwich (Open Faced)
 I used the eggs I had leftover for the tuna yesterday and made egg salad. I took the eggs and cut them into quarters and put them in a mini chopper, 3 eggs at a time. They come out perfect. No larger pieces because the mix was mashed with a fork, which is how I usually did it in the past. I added my dilled mayo to get the proper consistency that I wanted then added about a tbsp of yellow mustard for flavor and a little added color. It gives it that little extra bite that it needs.  For this I used honey wheat bread today. I don’t like using the regular white breads the wheat gives it a little more flavor.  I never add salt to anything however I do sometimes add steak pepper when I want to use pepper for this, today was not one of those days.
Bon Appétit !

No comments:

Post a Comment